Friday, May 14, 2010

Alumni Spotlight...Kyla Diles Gentry

Time to get caught up with yet another CDR Alumni. This week we are going to learn all about Kyla Diles Gentry. Kyla was a camper from 1995-1999 and a staff member in 2000 and 2001. Many of you know David Ward, and I bet Kyla could give us some great stories about him since she is his sister-in-law. But we will have to save those for another post.

CDR Alumni: What brought you to Camp Deer Run as a camper or staff member? How did you find out about camp?
Kyla: David Ward married my sister, and I came to his crazy camp. The first summer, I went to both CDR and my camp in Arkansas. After one year, I gave up my camp in Arkansas to go to CDR. It was so great.

CDR Alumni: Share a favorite memory from your time at CDR.
Kyla: There are so many fun and happy memories, from playing in the creek to outcamping. My favorite though would probably be at outcamping when we realized there was water flowing under a tree and made a tunnel. I "spelunked" my way through with a rope tied around my waste so Clint Spencer and Luke Dean could pull me out if I got stuck. I made it all the way through completely covered in mud.

CDR Alumni: How did your time at CDR impact your life?
Kyla: CDR impacted my spiritual life greatly. It was the first time, I ever really had a faith of my own. I think about it often, and bring up many memories to my husband. He thinks I'm crazy, but he just doesn't understand...he went to that camp in Arkansas. CDR also gave me friends that I care deeply for. I am not the best at keeping in contact, but blogs and facebook have allowed me to remain a part of their life or they a part of mine.

CDR Alumni: Tell us everything you would like people to know about your life since camp. What do you do for a living, are you married, do you have kids, etc.
Kyla: I teach 7th grade science in Searcy, Arkansas. I am married to Ty Gentry. We got married in Dec. of 2003. We have two kids Gabe (Aug. 07) and Gracen (Feb. 09).

Thanks so much to Kyla for taking the time to answer our Alumni Survey. If you haven't done so yet, and would like to share part of your Camp Deer Run story and update many Deer Runners on your life, please take the time to fill out our Camp Deer Run Alumni Survey.

I would like to continue with our weekly prayer list that can be posted and updated on this blog every week. If you have any requests or praises that you would like to share with the Deer Run community, you can send those to cdralumni@gmail.com .

I was out at Camp today and the new pool is complete and looking great. Sod was going down this afternoon and should make the grounds around the pool look great. It is a true blessing for Camp to be able add such a great new pool. The pool dedication will be June 5th during the Pass the Torch festivities. Here is the invitation to this wonderful event.

The summer is right around the corner and I know both staff and campers are getting very excited about being back in the Piney Woods of East Texas. If you are reading this blog then you are aware of what lies ahead for this summer. Keep Camp in your prayers, and pray that God is working on the hearts of the young people who will be spending time at Camp this summer.

Hail, Dear Ol' Deer Run,
Sparky

No comments:

Post a Comment