Saturday, July 10, 2010

Alumni Spotlight...Worm

If you were at Camp Deer Run during the 1980's or 1990's then there is a very good chance that you have some good stories from being around Trevon Buchanan, aka Worm. He was a fixture in the Crafts Hall singing some Acappella.

CDR Alumni: What years were you camper or a staff member?

Worm: 1980-1982 I was a day camper, 1983-1992 I was a camper 1988-1992, I was a Stamper (Staff/Camper), and 1993-1996 Staff Deer Runner til the day I die.

CDR Alumni: What brought you to Camp Deer Run as a camper or staff member? How did you find out about Camp?

Worm: My Great-grandmother, Grandmother, Mother, Aunt and several other members of my family have been working @ Deer Run since the late 60's early 70's. My biggest influences in keeping me coming back were MaMa Smith and David Ward.

CDR Alumni: Share a favorite memory from your time at CDR.

Worm: I have a lot of great memories. Deer Run spans Decades for me, so I have seen a lot of changes. Here are some key phrases that will strike some memories for others: Chubby bunnies, River Rats, Best outcamping chicken ever, TW's, biggest Deer Run pillow fight ever, horse in men's 7, 3 weeks of rain non stop followed by floating Tankawa camp fire and collapsing canteen porch, the real Killi Killi wash wash song,and last but not least the place I truly met Jesus. Sorry so long. I have seen the ups and downs of Deer Run, but the same things happen to me as do most people, if you ask me about CDR I light up with good memories. I can't really pick a favorite moment, but my favorite thing was Hymn Time.

CDR Alumni: How did your time at CDR impact your life?

Worm: CDR quite literally shaped my whole life. Truth be told, I liked having fun at CDR and never really cared about God until mid the 80's. The unconditional love of PaPaw Smith, MaMaw Smith, Jay and Gay Spencer, Billy Ray Dean, David Allen, Shannon Big Red, Kirk Bradford, and David Ward (the list could go on forever). The rest of my life falls into place like dominoes. I never heard of ACU and never would have attended ACU if not CDR. God knows I am Thankful for ACU and CDR.

CDR Alumni: Tell us everything you would like people to know about your life since camp; What do you do for a living, are you married, do you have kids, etc.

Worm: I have gone through a lot of trials in my life since I left CDR. I was apparently sick since I was young and didn't know. I have high blood pressure since I was 13, congestive heart failure at 20 and 21,heart attack at 26, kidney failure at 27. Did dialysis for a few years and now 3 years into my kidney transplant. Don't you dare feel sorry for me, because in all of this I am truly blessed. I have wonderful wife and four beautiful children. I got to be children's minister, youth minister, church leader in a young growing hispanic church, song leader, sing in acappella singing group, and perform the wedding of my best friend and his wife.

CDR Alumni: Please tell us more about your family, names, ages, anything you would like to share.

Worm: Aneissa LaSha Buchanan 9 yrs old (CDR is calling her name), Trevon DeAnte 6, Truett EliJah 5, Harrison Isaiah 2. My wife Julie and I will be married 10 yrs this summer.

Thanks Worm for taking the time to answer this survey so that we can all get caught up with you and your family. If you haven't filled out an Alumni Spotlight Survey, please do so. This has been a great way to catch up with people from Camp Deer Run's past.

Tomorrow is 4th Session Middle Sunday and it is also the very first Camp Deer Run Baby Roundup. It promises to be a fun day, and I will make sure to post a full recap of the day. God has been good to Camp this summer, and I know that the lives of the campers is being changed on a daily basis. Continue to pray for the good work that is being done at Camp.

Hail, Dear Ol' Deer Run,

Sparky

No comments:

Post a Comment