Friday, July 30, 2010

Nashamie Group Leader...Travis Perkins

Here is the third installment of posts that highlights the 4 group leaders from this summer. I think it has been a great look at what type of attitude and ideas that it takes to be a in charge of a group of campers and staff during a summer of Camp. This week Travis Perkins took the time to answer a few questions and gave some insight into what he thinks makes Camp the place that it is.
CDRAlumni: What years have you been at Camp?
Travis: I began coming to Camp when I camped in 2001.

CDRAlumni: Why did you come to Camp in the first place?
Travis: My sister had camped two years before I did and convinced me to go.

CDRAlumni: What is your favorite memory from your time as a camper?
Travis: Nashamie outcamping on the fourth of July.

CDRAlumni: Who had the biggest impact on you while you were a camper?
Travis: Chris Banks, Ty Taylor, Jace Allen

CDRAlumni: What made you decide to be on staff?
Travis: I wanted to feel like I was doing something worth while during the summer.

CDRAlumni: What do you think makes Camp so important for so many people?
Travis: For the campers, I think it's the escape from the world into a little slice of heaven. For the staff, it's the feeling of meaning in thier lives. For the parents and alumni, I can only assume it's the knowledge that camp really does change lives.

CDRAlumni: What is your favorite part of the typical Camp Day?
Travis: Afternoon canteen.

CDRAlumni: Talk about the responsibility of being a Group Leader.
Travis: It's a welcomed responsibility. The work is hard, but the reward of seeing growth and change in the campers makes it worth it.

CDRAlumni: If there is one thing that you hope the campers take away from there time at Camp, what do you want it to be?
Travis: I always want the campers to take away the knowledge that God loves them more than they could know, and that if they actively seek God, he will make himself known in thier lives.

CDRAlumni: What is your least favorite part of Camp?
Travis: My least favorite part of camp? A session ending just as the group has become unified.

CDRAlumni: What is your proudest accomplishment from your time at Camp?
Travis: 5th Session 2009, Chiefy wins indian day!!

CDRAlumni: Anything you would like to say to alumni?
Travis: Thanks for all the support and wisdom. If it weren't for your Christ-like example, none of us would be on staff today.
I want to thank Travis for taking the time to answer these questions for me. I know that there isn't a lot of free time during the summer for the staff, but its great that these guys are willing to take a couple of minutes and give us all an inside look into their thoughts about Camp. Travis is a great example for the campers to look to. He has experienced some things in life that have helped him draw closer to God and strengthened his faith and understanding that God is in total control. I know that the campers who have been Nashamies this summer are closer to God after spending time at Camp because of the things that Travis has taught them and that they have seen in him.


No comments:

Post a Comment