Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Alumni Spotlight...Robert Martin


Time for another Alumni Spotlight. This time I am highlighting Robert Martin, or you may know him by his Camp nickname, Ol' Blue. Robert was at Camp as a camper from 1989-1993 and was a staff member from 1994-1996.

CDRAlumni: What brought you to Camp Deer Run as a camper or staff member; How did you find out about camp?
Robert: I was actually told about camp through my preacher's son at the time Brent Nichols. At that time I was 12 or 13. I started off as a Nashami and moved up through the Hoches, and fell in love so much with all the staff and camp that in 1994 I went and got my lifeguard certification and became the men's lifeguard for 3 summers.

CDRAlumni: Share a favorite memory from your time at CDR.
Robert:Wow there are so many. I will have to say that most of my favorite memories as a camper and even as a staff member had to be all the friends that I made through the years. I totally grew attached to staff members like Trevon "Worm" Buchanan, and John Boles, and Mark "Tree" Taylor and even David Ward.

CDR Alumni: How did your time at CDR impact your life?
Robert: I had always grown up in the church and loved the Lord with all my heart, but it wasn't until I started going to CDR that I truly got to see Him move in the lives of people. To this very day, once I walk through the gates I can still feel His presence and see His glory and greatness in that place.

CDRAlumni: Tell us everything you would like people to know about your life since camp. What do you do for a living, are you married, do you have kids, etc.
Robert: Well, I have had some major ups and downs since I was last at CDR on staff. I played around in college and thought that working was more important. My mind set wasn't on bettering myself, it was on trying to work and get paid. Then I thought that getting married was the answer, but apparently I was wrong on that too. Went through a nasty divorce, but I got 2 of the greatest things that God could've ever blessed me with, my kids. I now have custody of my 9 year old daughter and my almost 8 year old son.

CDRAlumni: Please tell us more about your family, names, ages, anything you would like to share.
Robert:My family is a little different from others since my kids and I have lived with my best friend and his wife and kids for almost 7 years now. My daughter Makayla is 9 and my son Micheal will be 8 in September. Because of my best friends Robert and Heather Wheeler, I have been blessed with 4 god children. My oldest god daughter Alexus is 15 and just went to CDR for the first time 2nd session of 2010, my oldest god son Matthew is 13, my youngest god daughter Emilee is 10 and my youngest god son Cameron is 6. So with all of us living under one roof you can guess that there is never a dull moment with a 15, 13, 10, 9, 7, and 6 year old living together.
Thanks to Robert for taking the time to share his story with us. It is fun seeing how people are living their lives today. If you would like to share your story and be highlighted in an Alumni Spotlight Post, fill out this survey. Now that summer is almost over, I would like to be able to do several of these type of posts a month, but will need many people to spotlight. So if you haven't done so yet, take the time to answer the questions. And if you send me pictures then you will be moved to the front of the pack.

Summer is almost over, and in the next couple of weeks I hope to be able to share some exciting news about plans that are being made with CDR Alumni in mind. Pray for Camp to finish strong and for the fire that was started in the campers hearts this summer to continue to burn brightly for the Lord.

Hail, Dear Ol' Deer Run,
Sparky

No comments:

Post a Comment