Thursday, August 5, 2010

Wenache Group Leader...Scott Busby


Tonight is the last night of Camp Deer Run 2010. I know it is a sad night for the campers who are experiencing 6th Session, but it is also a sad night for the 50 staff members who have given up their summer to spend 10 weeks in the hot woods of East Texas to share God's love with thousands of children. I want to highlight the Wenache Group leader tonight. Scott has done a great job this summer leading this group. Its very cool for me see Scott as the Wenache Group Leader because I had Scott in my group in 2003 when I was the Wenache Group Leader. It gives me great pride to be able to look at all 4 of the Group Leaders and to remember when they were campers and see what great young men they have become.


CDRAlumni: What years have you been at Camp?

Scott: I camped from 1998-2007 and have been on staff from 2008-2010.


CDRAlumni: How did you come to Camp in the first place?

Scott: I guess I would have to give the Spencer family the credit for introducing me to camp. I am from Huntsville, Texas and grew up going to church with John Richard and Renee's family who told my parents about it. I guess my parents thought it sounded like a good idea to send my sister and I. Thanks, Spencers.


CDRAlumni: What is your favorite memory from your time as a camper?

Scott: In 2003 Pete Garner and Sparky led the men of the Wenache nation on a search for a place called "Pete's Pass." After a week of searching for it, we finally found it only to find out a few years later that Pete's Pass was really just a joke. Also, in either 1999 or 2000, Ty Ford led my cabin on a hunt for an "escaped convict." After an hour and a half of searching we caught the convict who turned out to just be Sparky.


Scott (far right) and his cabin at Pete's Pass in 2003.

CDRAlumni: Who had the biggest impact on you while you were a camper?

Scott: Cameron Hartsell had a big impact on me when I was a camper. I was a camper in GB6 in 2005 and 2006 and Cameron was my counselor for both of those years. It was evident that Cameron was truly interested in us not only as far as his job as a CDR staff member went, but also as a friend. Since GB6 is at the top of camp on a hill of sorts, Cameron called our cabin the city on a hill, helping us realize the importance of being a Christ-like example to all. Even though he called me a fat-head, his impact on me was immense.


CDRAlumni: What made you decide to be on staff?

Scott: I decided to apply to become a staff member after my first summer as a camper in 1998. At that time I probably only wanted to be on staff because camp all summer long sounded like the greatest thing in the world to me. As I grew older, however, I began to realize that much of my spiritual growth could be attributed to the staff members at Deer Run. I wanted to share in that ministry for future campers. I wanted to bless the campers who I would work with just as much as the staff members who blessed me did.


CDRAlumni: What do you think makes Camp so important for so many people?

Scott: I think the reason camp is so important is because of the overwhelming sense of acceptance that is felt at Camp Deer Run. People from all walks of life are thrown together in a group at Camp and participate in the weirdest, most fun activities imaginable all while learning what it is to be Christ-like. When everybody is doing something weird, nobody is "too cool" for anybody else and a Christ-like sense of unity shows through. That unity leads to some of the best and most long lasting friendships possible.


CDRAlumni: What is your favorite part of the typical Camp Day?

Scott: Night games and Night devo would have to be my favorite two parts of any camp day. Games like steal the bacon, three deep, and pull apart are so fun to play and then the day ends in worship to God through night devo with an amazing view of the stars. That portion of the day combines the two purposes of camp, fun and worship, in the best way possible.



CDRAlumni: Talk about the responsibility of being a Group Leader.

Scott: This is my first year to hold this position and so far, I have loved every minute of it. The responsibilities involved in group leading can sometimes be tough, but are extremely rewarding. A huge difference between counseling and group leading is the amount of preparation involved. It is now my job to plan activities, games, Bible lessons, etc. for the whole group, for ten weeks, which can be challenging. I am now also responsible for the staff members in my group. It is my job to set an example for them but to also encourage them in all that they do.


CDRAlumni: If there is one thing that you hope the campers take away from there time at Camp, what do you want it to be?

Scott: I want campers to leave camp knowing that God is alive and that he is working. I think just being out in the woods, in God's creation, for one or two weeks is enough in itself to show that God is alive and that he is powerful. Often, the world outside of camp may seem very dark and discouraging. But I hope through camp that everyone who comes here will see that God is alive and working in the world. You just have to look a little harder than you would have to at camp.


CDRAlumni: What is your least favorite part of Camp?

Scott: My least favorite part of camp is camp improvement. It's just not campish to be cleaning when you could be in the creek.


CDRAlumni: What is your proudest accomplishment from your time at Camp?

Scott: My proudest accomplishment at camp has been the two baptisms that I have been priveleged to perform. This year I have baptized Cheyenne Wolfe and also Britt Moody. I was so fortunate to have that opportunity to study with them and to baptize them into Christ. I am so glad that God was able to use me to that end.


CDRAlumni: Anything you would like to say to alumni?

Scott: To former CDR Staff, I'd just like to thank you for the hard work that I know you put in while you were working here. You may not have been in my group ever or even been working while I was camping but I know that the example you set for me just by being here has helped mold my faith. So thank you so much for that. To those who camped in the past and even to former staff I would ask that you would be in prayer for the mission of camp at all times. Pray that God's will can be done through camp and that He can continue to work through the memories made here even during the school year, that those memories will only serve to spur on a deeper faith in God.

Thanks again to Scott and the other Group Leaders for answering some questions and letting us know what it means to them to be a in charge of a group at Camp. Its been fun talking to these guys and getting their perspective on their job.

The Camp offseason is just about upon us. But continue to pray for the campers throughout the year and for Camp as a whole as there are many projects to be done and needs that need to be met. Thanks for supporting Camp Deer Run this summer and for the many prayers already offered.

Hail, Dear Ol' Deer Run,
Sparky

1 comment:

  1. i love scott! he made my first time at camp amazing! ~Meryl Walker

    ReplyDelete