Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

My mom is obviously one of the biggest influences on my life, and is a huge reason that my life has turned out the way it has. One of the best things she ever did was to encourage me to start camping at Camp Deer Run. My mom, Annette (Woodall) Smith, was a camper and a staff member during the 1970's, and Camp was an important place to her even when she was no longer out there. I know that she was excited to be able to send her kids out to Camp to share in her experiences. Unfortunately I presented a problem for her. As a kid I was a picky eater, and therefore leery of spending a week away from home when I had no say in what I ate. Looking back, I realize I cost myself a couple of years of great memories. At any rate, when I was 11 years old I finally gave in and spent my first of many weeks at Camp Deer Run. My mom kept encouraging me to give it a chance, and because of that encouragement, I finally gave in and my life was changed forever.

I know that I'm not the only person who has a story similar to this. Moms are such and important part of the success of Camp Deer Run. And I know that many of you who read this are great moms today because of your time at Camp Deer Run. I hope all of you have had a wonderful day, and know how much you mean to those you are surrounded by.

Hail, Dear Ol' Deer Run,
Sparky

No comments:

Post a Comment