Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Rec Hall Then, The Rec Hall Now

Over the years Camp Deer Run has seen many changes. One of those things that has changed the most is the Rec Hall. And one of the things that hasn't changed much at all is the Rec Hall. As confusing of a statement as that is, I think its true. Just look through some of the pictures that I've posted and you can see what I mean.

The Rec Hall is the first "building" that people see when they enter through the Camp gates. And while I'm sure that some people think it is an eyesore, most Deer Runners know how much history is painted inside that Rec Hall. It may not be the best looking place in the world, but some of the best singing I have ever heard has happened in it. The floors in the Rec Hall are just as sandy today as they always have been. Campers today look up at the names in the rafters just like they always have. Mellow Night and Killi Kapers, Worship and Hymn Time are conducted under that roof just like they always have. Camp starts on Sunday night with Worship and silly songs, and ends on Thursday nights in the Rec Hall beginning Cross Devo. The Rec Hall is probably the most important building at Camp, and has been for many years.
Hail, Dear Ol' Deer Run,
Sparky

2 comments:

  1. Lots of great memories! Last summer was the first for my oldest son and now this year both my boys will be campers. I can't believe my name is STILL visible!
    Bryan Barnett, staff '86, '88 & '89

    ReplyDelete