Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Last Night of the Summer

I know that many of who read this blog are former staff members, so you understand what I am about to say. Those of who didn't have the chance to work at Camp, understand that working at Camp Deer Run is a completely exhausting experience physically, emotionally, and mentally. It can be a grind getting through each session. This may come as a surprise, but there have been campers in the past who have been able to wear on his or her counselor's patience. But all of the exhaustion, all of the sleep depravation, all of the blood, sweat, and tears is worth doing God's work. I know that at the end of each summer on staff I felt a big sense of accomplishment for making it through the summer, having touched the lives of many young people. I also would look back at the memories that I made with my fellow staff members, and think about the good times we had.

When I was still on staff, and as far as I know this still happens, on the final night of each summer, the staff has a night of celebration and reflection. It is a night that wraps up the summer that was, and gives the staff one last chance to be together before everyone heads off in their separate ways. It was always such an emotional night, because everyone was completely worn out, excited, yet sad that Camp was over. We would eat dinner together, then watch the staff slideshow made up of pictures taken throughout the summer. It was a great way to look back on all of the craziness that is Camp Deer Run. To cap the night off, the staff would sit in a big circle, and have one final Goodbye Devo. Every Thursday night during the summer, each group has a Goodbye Devo just before Cross Devo, when the staff would give advice for the campers to take home with them. The Staff Goodbye Devo was basically the same along with the staff talking about their experience at Camp that summer. It was always such a wonderful time to hear each staff member talk about how God impacted them that summer. I really enjoyed hearing that even though we all experienced the same summer, God touched us all in different ways. But to me, the best part was the singing. I always loved singing as a staff, and when we would all be circled up, facing each other in the Rec Hall, there was nothing like it. In my mind, it was always the perfect way to end a perfect summer.

Last night, this summer's staff spent their last night of the summer at Camp. I know that this was a very trying summer for them, the hottest summer in over 30 years. But I know that all staff members were all blessed, and that God worked through them. Only 43 weeks until Camp Deer Run 2012.

Hail, Dear Ol' Deer Run,
Sparky

No comments:

Post a Comment