Thursday, April 28, 2011

Group Photos

The past few weeks I have been looking at old Group Photos, and have had a lot of fun seeing if I can find anyone who I recognize. Whoever came up with the thought that each session needed to be commemorated with a group picture was very wise. Its fun to look at how Group Pictures have varied over the years.

This one from the 1970's is was taken on the steps of the Canteen porch, just like they are done today. There are many people in this picture, so I'm wondering if all of Camp were present for this picture.
I have seen several Group Pictures taken around what I believe is close to the gates of Camp.
Of course looking back at these old pictures allows us to scrutinize the wardrobe choices that some people made.
There are also several group pictures that I have seen that were taken in the Mess Hall. Maybe it was raining on these days?
Other years somebody decided that everyone should look the same, so all wore their Camp Deer Run shirts.
At some point during the 1990's signs were printed up that told the year, session, and group. This takes away the whole, "I wonder what year that picture was taken" mystery.
I don't know when it began, but I love that after each Group Photo is taken, everyone gets a little silly.
The Group Photos tell people an awful lot about Camp. The campers and staff are always full of joy, which you can see in their faces. And even though some things about Camp change from time to time, it still is the same place today that it was when the first Group Photo was taken.

Hail, Dear Ol' Deer Run,
Sparky

No comments:

Post a Comment